Department of Social Services

Location / Hours of Operation
209 East Main Street
Plymouth, NC 27962
(252) 793-4041
FAX: (252) 793-3195
Monday through Friday, 8:30 AM to 5:00 PM

Contact Us

DSS Director
Clifton Hardison  
Human Services Deputy Director
Lynn Swett  
Adult Services Supervisor
Yolanda White  
Riverlight Transit Supervisor
Kimberly Blevins  
Child Care & Income Maintenance Supervisor
Caroline Gurganus  
Medicaid Services Supervisor
Tammy Mixon  
Children Services Supervisor
Demaine T. Hill  
Children Services Supervisor
Anne Hathaway  
Child Support Supervisor

DSS Board Meetings 

January 18, 2022
Feb 15, 2022
March 15, 2022
April 19, 2022
May 17, 2022
June 21, 2022

July 26, 2022 (9:00 AM)
Aug 16, 2022
Sept 20, 2022
Oct 18, 2022
Nov 15, 2022
Dec 20, 2022

Mission Statement
The mission of the Washington County Department of Social Services is to create and sustain a public agency which is valued by the community, respects the dignity and worth of every person, and is accountable for the efficient and effective management of the public’s funds. To that end the center will:

  • Protect children and adults with services that ensure their safety and well-being;
  • Provide job-related services that lead to employment;
  • Make available social and economic support services that provide short-term or temporary support for families until opportunities arise for self-sufficiency;
  • Provide access to health-related services for at-risk children and adults; and
  • Maintain information concerning persons who receive services from the center in a professional and confidential manner.

Department of Social Services
The Washington County Department of Social Services is a county-administered public agency that provides a wide variety of social work services and administers health access and economic support programs that are required through state and federal laws. The agency provides the citizens of Washington County with resources and services to maximize their well being. A primary focus of the agency is to prevent abuse, neglect and exploitation of children and adults. Additional information about the programs and services offered through the department of social services can be found at the links provided below.

The Washington County Board of Social Services is composed of five members. The Washington County Board of Commissioners appoints two members and the NC Social Services Commission appoints two members. Those four members elect the fifth member. Board members must be county residents and are appointed from different areas of the county. They also must be motivated by a sincere and demonstrated concern for the well-being of the citizens of the county. Members of the board of social services may serve two consecutive three-year terms of appointment. A county commissioner may serve on the board of social services and may serve continuously as long as he or she continues to serve as a county commissioner. The duties and responsibilities of the board of social services are specified in state law and described in NC General Statute 108A, Article One.

Members of the Washington County Board of Social Services are:

  • Julius Walker, Jr., Chairman
  • Harry White
  • Paulique Horton
  • Wendy Furlough
  • Rona Norman

For additional information about the agency and the programs and services that are provided, please use the contact information above.

Riverlight Transit

Washington County Riverlight Transit Title VI Policy

“Transporting for Brighter Futures” As a community transportation program, Riverlight Transit serves all residents of Washington County. It was created in 1997 from existing transportation programs operated by various public agencies and private non-profit organizations in Washington County.

Riverlight Transit provides non-emergency medical curb to curb transportation services directly from a person’s home to his or her destination. Transportation services are also provided for persons who have disabilities.

Riverlight Transit has eight vehicles in its fleet. The system has five light-transit vehicles which are lift-equipped, two 12-passenger lift equipped vehicle and one mini van. 

Riverlight Transit operates five vehicles, Monday through Friday, between the hours of 8:00 AM and 4:30 PM. The system provides medical, nutrition, recreation, shopping, educational, human service and general public transportation services.

Anyone may ride on a Riverlight Transit vehicle. Both in-county and out-of-county transportation services are available. Some in-county and out-of-county destinations include:

  • Plymouth
  • Roper
  • Creswell
  • Williamston
  • Edenton
  • Elizabeth City
  • Greenville
  • Washington

For additional information about routes, schedules and services or to schedule a trip, contact Malinda Keyes, Transportation Coordinator at (252) 793-4041, ext. 255 or email at

Hearing impaired, deaf and speech impaired persons who need transportation services may contact Riverlight Transit by calling 1-800-735-2962 TDD/TTY.

The Washington County Transportation Advisory Board meets on the third Wednesday of January, April, July and October at 11:00 AM at the Washington County Center for Human Services located at 209 East Main Street in Plymouth, N.C.

Riverlight Transit does not discriminate against persons with disabilities in connection with the provision of transportation services. Titles II and III of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 and 49 CFR Parts 37 and 38 specify requirements for vehicle and facility accessibility and the provision of the transportation services. This agency does not discriminate in the provision of service to any individual based on race, creed, color, sex, age, or national origin. All persons will be treated equally with respect and dignity. This agency is an equal opportunity employer and will not discriminate in the employment of persons because of race, creed, color, sex, age, or national origin.

All persons who believes he/she has been discriminated against on the basis of race, color, or national origin by the Riverlight Transit System may file a Title VI complaint by completing and submitting the agency’s Title VI Complaint Form found in the Washington County Title VI Policy link above. 

If you wish to file an ADA complaint against the Riverlight Transit System please contact Clifton Hardison, Director of Social Services at (252) 793-4041, by email at or by mail at P O Box 10, Plymouth, NC 27962. We welcome feedback, questions or concerns. 

Additional information about transportation services can be found at the NC Department of Transportation, Public Transportation Division, website provided in links below.

Child Support Services

In North Carolina, Child Support Services are available to anyone who wants or needs help in collecting child support. The program offers assistance in the following areas:

  • Location of non-custodial parents – Child Support searches to find where the non-custodial parent lives and/or works.
  • Paternity establishment for children born outside of marriage – Child Support establishes the legal father of the child.
  • Establishment of support obligations – Child Support establishes a court order for the non-custodial parent to provide support for his/her child(ren).
  • Collection and distribution of support – Child Support keeps records of court-ordered child support payments processed by the NC Child Support Centralized Collections operation and tracks the distribution and disbursement of those payments.
  • Enforcement of support obligations – Child Support uses as many enforcement remedies as necessary to ensure the non-custodial parent’s compliance with the court-ordered support.

Individuals who receive services through the Work First Program, Medicaid, or the Foster Care Services for Children Program are eligible and they are automatically referred for Child Support Services free of charge. Persons who do not participate in those programs may inquire about Child Support Services by telephone and receive an application and supplemental data sheet to complete. A twenty-five dollar ($25) non-refundable application fee may be required.

Child Support Services is not authorized to help with some issues that might seem similar to child support such as custody, visitation, or property settlements. Private attorneys and county Clerks of Superior Court also offer certain support services. To learn more about what assistance is available, you may contact these offices individually.

Child Support Services are provided to residents of Washington and Tyrrell Counties through the Washington County Department of Social Services. For additional information about the program, contact Lynn Swett, ACTING Regional Child Support Supervisor, at (252) 793-4041, extension 208 or by email at lynns@wcchs.orgLinks